Questions to Ask Planners
Getting your wedding planned can be quite daunting - and for those of us who have a very demanding job, 3 kids that take up a lot of your time or maybe you just feel that it’s too much; it might be a good idea to hire a planner. They can make the planning process a breeze and take a lot of stress of your shoulders.
There are many planners out there; all with unique talents….the trick is to find the planner that best suits you and your vision.
We have put together a list of some key questions to ask before you hire.
Please use this list as a guide only; feel free to remove any questions or add some that relate to your particular event and make sure to get everything in writing in your final contract.
Check out our Planning Tips on planners
Download PDF Version
Download Excel Version
- What made you want to be a wedding planner?
- What is your educational background?
- How long have you been in business?
- Is wedding planning your full-time job?
- If it's part-time, what is your other job?
- How long have you been in business?
- How would you rate your problem-solving skills?
- How would you rate your communication skills?
- Do you have references?
- Can you provide us with a portfolio and/or video of weddings you have done?
- Do you have any questions for me?
Scope of Work
- What sorts of services do you offer (day-of or full-service event)?
- Do you do both design and coordination?
- What is your main specialty?
- Will you handle every aspect of the planning or can we do some things on our own?
- Do you work alone or with a team?
- If you have a team, how many people on your staff will be at the wedding?
- What happens if you're sick or otherwise unable to be there on the day of our wedding?
- Do you:
- Advocate our visions and desires to suppliers?
- Handle the invitations, guest list coordination and RSVPs?
- Create a timeline to coordinate everyone involved?
- Create a timeline for the day-of?
- Do the floor plan and guest allocation?
- Do honeymoon planning?
- Assist with finding wedding attire?
Venues & Suppliers
- What types of venues have you planned weddings in?
- Have you planned any other weddings at our site?
- Are there specific suppliers you like to work with?
- What's your process for selecting and hiring them?
- How would we be involved in the selection process?
- Do we have to use suppliers you recommend or can we use our own?
- Do you take a commission or discount from any of the vendors you would refer us to?
- Do you handle rentals?
- Do you coordinate delivery and set up times with the suppliers?
- Will you be present at all of the supplier meetings and assist us in reviewing the contracts and making sure everything is in order?
- Do you handle payment processing?
- Will you invoice us for all the suppliers’ fees or will we need to pay each one of them ourselves?
- Will you handle any issues that arise with the suppliers?
Services & Planning
- Are you available on your wedding date?
- Do you do destination weddings (if applicable)?
- How many weddings have you planned?
- How do you start to go about planning a wedding?
- How can you make our wedding unique?
- What type of wedding is your strong point (large wedding, outside-the-box weddings, classic weddings, etc)?
- How many wedding clients do you take on in a year?
- How many weddings do you expect to have during the month of our wedding?
- What's the biggest wedding mishap you've ever encountered and how did you deal with it?
- What's your secret for staying calm under pressure, and how do you deal with day-of disasters?
- How do you handle difficult family members?
- How many meetings will we have?
- Do you come with us to all of our relevant meetings?
- How often will we communicate, by phone and by email?
- What's the best way to get in touch with you?
Payment and costs
- What's the cost of the average wedding you plan?
- Do you have a minimum budget you work with?
- How will you help me stay within my budget?
- Will you provide us with a breakdown of how the money is going to be allocated?
- As changes are made to our plans, will you update us with a revised estimate?
- How do you charge for your services (hourly, percentage of the wedding cost, or flat rate)?
- Can you provide a detailed list of all the items included in your fee?
- Will there be additional expenses on top of your base fee (travel, parking, food)?
- Are there any other fees that won't be included in the proposal that we should be aware of?
- What is your payment policy?
- How much is the deposit?
- When is the final payment due?
- What is your refund or cancellation policy?