Questions to Ask Officiants
When planning your wedding one of the most important things is to hire your officiant; their job is to perform the ceremony, make sure the whole thing runs smoothly and - most importantly - legally marry you. So you want to make sure you have the right one that makes you and your partner feel comfortable.
We have put together a list of some key questions to ask before you hire.
Please use this list as a guide only; feel free to remove any questions or add some that relate to your particular event and make sure to get everything in writing in your final contract.
Check out our Planning Tips for officiants.
Download PDF Version
Download Excel Version
Getting to know your Officiant
- How long have you been a wedding officiant?
- How many weddings have you performed at?
- How were you ordained?
- Why do you do this?
- What was the most moving wedding you celebrated?
- What was the biggest wedding mistake you ever made and “vowed” never to repeat?
- Have you ever turned down a couple’s invitation to perform their ceremony and why?
- When meeting with a couple, what do you look for and have you found it in us?
- What do you think is your main responsibility as an officiant?
- What’s the best compliment a wedding guest ever gave you?
- What is your biggest challenge when officiating a wedding?
- What is the funniest or oddest moment in a wedding you celebrated?
- What is your rock bottom wish for every couple?
- What do you love about celebrating weddings?
- Are you available on my wedding date?
- Have you ever done a ceremony at my chosen location?
- Are you willing to marry us at a nonreligious site (if applicable)?
- Do you have any restrictions on the type of ceremony or requirements?
- Can you perform an interfaith ceremony (if applicable)?
- Can you perform a same-sex ceremony (if applicable)?
- Can you perform a spiritual ceremony (if applicable)?
- Can you perform the ceremony in our language of choice?
- Will you be able to create a personalized ceremony?
- Can we personalise our vows, readings, poems or music?
- Can family members participate in the ceremony to add a personal touch?
- Can we be creative and have a theme wedding (if applicable)?
- Will you help us work on our vows?
- How long do your ceremonies typically take?
- Will we have input and/or be able to read it beforehand?
- Do you offer a rehearsal of the ceremony before the big day?
- Can you provide a written or taped sample of some ceremonies you performed?
- Do you offer pre-marital counselling?
- Do you offer guidance on the name change process and the marriage certificate?
- What is the back-up contingency if an emergency arises and you can’t make the ceremony?
- How many pre-wedding sessions will we have with you?
- Can you assist with complicated family situation (if applicable)?
- How do you handle a noisy guest?
- How will you be dressed?
- What is the ceremony cost?
- What is included in the cost?
- Can you travel to our chosen wedding site?
- If so will there be an extra cost?