Questions to Ask on Entertainment
The music on your special day can make or break a party, so selecting awesome entertainment is essential.
We have put together a list of some key questions to ask before you hire.
Please use this list as a guide only; feel free to remove any questions or add some that relate to your particular event and make sure to get everything in writing in your final contract.
Check out our Planning Tips on entertainment.
Download PDF Version
Download Excel Version
- Do you have my wedding date available?
- How long have you been doing this professionally?
- Is this your full-time business?
- Are weddings your primary focus?
- How many weddings have you played?
- How long have you been performing together (if you're interviewing a band)?
- How many weddings do you typically do in a year?
- How many weddings do you do in an average weekend?
- Do you perform at more than one event in a day?
- Have you done events at my wedding venue?
- How would you describe your style?
- Are there any other services that you provide (MC, event management, etc)?
- Do you plan to use lighting or any other special effects?
- Is there any way to see you perform live?
- If not do you have a CD or a video of a performance?
- Is the CD or video live or technically enhanced (if you're interviewing a band)?
- What sets you apart from your competition?
- Can you provide me with references?
- How extensive is your music library/song list?
- What genres can you cover?
- Do you have a recommended list of songs?
- How do you keep your music collection up-to-date?
- How do you customize the music experience for each couple?
- How do you handle song requests?
- Can we submit a "Do Not Play" list?
- Can we provide our song selections?
- When is our deadline for submitting our music requests and event details?
- Can you help with song lists and providing suggestions?
- How do you get the crowd dancing?
- How often will you take a break?
- What music will be provided during the breaks?
- Can I hear some examples of mixing and blending different tracks?
Pricing and Payment
- How does your pricing work?
- Does that rate include setup and breakdown?
- How much do you charge for overtime?
- How much of a deposit do you require and when is it due?
- When is the final payment due?
- Do you offer a payment plan?
- What is your refund/cancellation policy?
- Are there any additional fees that could accrue that I am not taking into account - like travel expenses or charges for special musical requests?
- How far in advance do I need to secure your services?
- How many hours are included in the package?
- What will you wear to the wedding?
- What is your policy on alcohol or smoking during the wedding?
- How many members will be present on the day?
- How much time will you need for setup, sound check and breakdown on the day?
- What is your backup plan if the DJ or band member is unable to perform?
- What sound equipment do you utilize?
- Do you have back-up equipment in case of an equipment malfunction?
- Does any of your equipment require special electrical outlets?
- What kind of space or stage do you require?
- Is there anything we should know about your services that we haven't talked about?